The Geist Waterfront Park is a new addition to the Indiana park system, located in the city of Fishers, just 20 miles northeast of Indianapolis. The park spans over 70 acres and offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities for visitors of all ages. From hiking trails to fishing spots, Geist Waterfront Park is a place where nature and community come together.
The development of Geist Waterfront Park began in 2014 when the town of Fishers acquired the land from the Indiana Department of Transportation. The park was designed by Rundell Ernstberger Associates, an Indianapolis-based landscape architecture firm, and construction began in 2018. The park officially opened to the public in September 2020.
The park's development was a collaborative effort between the town of Fishers, community members, and local businesses. The park's design incorporates feedback from community members and aims to serve as a hub for community events and outdoor activities.
Geist Waterfront Park offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities for visitors. Here are some of the park's main features:
1. Hiking Trails: The park offers over three miles of hiking trails that wind through the wooded areas of the park. The trails are suitable for all skill levels and offer scenic views of the park's natural beauty.
2. Fishing: The park features a fishing pier and two fishing platforms that provide access to Geist Reservoir. The reservoir is home to a variety of fish species, including bass, crappie, and bluegill.
3. Playground: The park's playground features a variety of equipment suitable for children of all ages. The playground is designed with safety in mind and features soft rubber surfacing to reduce the risk of injury.
4. Picnic Areas: The park offers several picnic areas equipped with tables and grills. These areas provide a great spot for families and groups to enjoy a meal while taking in the park's natural beauty.
5. Dog Park: The park's dog park offers a space for dogs to run and play off-leash. The park features separate areas for large and small dogs, as well as dog waste stations to help keep the park clean.
6. Boating: The park offers a boat ramp that provides access to Geist Reservoir. The reservoir is a popular spot for boating and water sports.
7. Amphitheater: The park's amphitheater provides a venue for community events and performances. The amphitheater is equipped with a stage and seating for up to 500 people.
8. Nature Center: The park's nature center features exhibits and educational programming focused on the park's natural environment. The nature center also provides a space for community events and meetings.
Geist Waterfront Park has had a significant impact on the Fishers community since its opening. The park has become a popular destination for outdoor recreation and community events, and has helped to strengthen the town's sense of community.
The park has also had an economic impact on the town, as it has attracted visitors from surrounding areas and generated revenue for local businesses. The park's location near Geist Reservoir has made it a popular spot for boating and water sports, which has benefited local marinas and boat rental companies.